Tuesday 29 April 2008


Day 4 - Trispen to Tregolls
Wet weather gear required today! Jacqui laid on a fab breakfast : grapefruit, cereal, full english washed down with plenty of fresh brew...delice! Had to wait a little while before getting ready as not good to go running on a full stomach! Everything was in waterproof packaging for the deluge that was expected today. Nick and Jacqui wouldn't accept any payment at all which was really, really kind of them - all going to my fundraising! They mentioned that they've had a few 'end to enders' staying including a guy with a horse....he apparantely took 12 weeks but couldn't ride the horse much as his gear was too heavy!
Nice downhill to start with then through sleepy little villages and alongside the main A30. I was hoping to find a little coffee shop or internet cafe in Indian Queens (looked quite big on the map) but the only place I found was an Esso garage which seemed to be the local hang-out...not much happens down here! It had been raining steadily for about an hour and the wind was slap bang in my face - not pleasant. Then, like an oasis, a fish and chip shop turned up and no ordinary chippie - this one had been placed in the top 10 last year for the UK best chippies! Very popular but I decided just to get a hot choc to warm myself up - hadn't realised how cold my hands were until I tried to undo the zip on my backpack! Good job I got inside as the rain started to hammer down. Got chatting to a couple of guys who were confused with my clothing attire! Once I'd warmed up, the rain had virtually stopped and I was out running again when a guy in a car shouted out 'did I know where you can buy flowers?'...did he really think that someone running with a backpack and a large volume of maps draped round their neck knew where to buy flowers??...I apologised that no I didn't! I climbed up to the ramparts of an old iron-age fort at Castle-an-Dinas and at that point the sun decided to show it's face. Ran round the ramparts and then out the other side, being careful not to fall down any of the old mine shafts apparantely dotted around the field! It was now starting to get a bit wet and muddy underfoot and by the time I reached the road, my feet were drenched. Up to Tregonetha (another Tre!) and missed the footpath I'd planned, but still, managed to take the next one and then double back along the road. Decided not to go down the next footpath as it led straight across a newly ploughed field and I had visions of my feet suddenly weighing an extra tonne! Not one village shop did I pass all day nor any pubs...arrived at my next B&B a couple of hours earlier than my previous days and there wasn't anyone in....Lester was out on the farm but they had the foresight to put their mobile numbers on the front door! I'm staying at another farmhouse tonight called Tregolls (and another Tre!) and just polished off a huge tea of chicken casserole, veg, strawberry pavlova, cheese and biccies....good job I'm running all the calories off each day! Marilyn has kindly let me use her office pc to update the blog whilst I still remember what I've done today! I'd bruised my back on the 2nd day with the tube from my camel back constantly banging against my spine : this made it a little bit painful yesterday but much better today once I found out what the culprit was! Managed to get up quite a sprint downhill!!
Today's facts and figures : 17.6 miles with a 'moving' time of 3.51 and a 'stopped' of 1.19
Keep the comments coming - I'm loving reading them all so thanks to everyone who has taken the time to leave one for me...

8 comments:

anna said...

You are making me jealous !! I want some of that good old English pub food you keep raving about. I can't believe you didn't have the fish and chips. If I were running end to end I'd have chips every day. Miss you loads !!!!!!!

anna

Unknown said...

Really enjoying reading the blog each day so keep those entries coming! You sound like you're having a good first week so long may it continue! Take care and keep on smiling!

Phil said...

Carole, this is just turning into one big eating fest. Are you sure you're doing any running ? Are you going to publish Carole's 'how to eat your way to John O'Groats' when you've finished ? You sound like you're having an absolute ball. Keep safe and get those miles knocked off. Phil

Liz said...

Your doing fabulous sounds like one big adventure that has only just begun.
Your certainly leaving your mark on these people you are coming across.Any new recruits to running?

Forecast is getting better for weekend
See you soon Take Care Liz

Kerstin said...

Hi Carole, Thought of you on Monday as we did the river run going past your house. We only did 6 miles - can't believe how well you are doing despite getting drenched. Love hearing about your adventures, and I'm with Anna (would definitely have had the chips!)

Pat said...

Hi, glad to hear you're having a fabulous time, we're following your route on the map at home. Never mind the fish and chips, what about a good old fashioned Cornish Pastie? If you are going to get the reputation of the runner who ate their way to John O'Groats then you might as well be traditional. Cream teas in Devon! Enjoy. Pat

Steve&Jen said...

Reading your blogs makes me hungry - bet you're looking forward to the Haggis in Scotland! You're doing brilliantly, take care.

Jenny

Carol said...

After another early start at Southampton airport, I'm starting to wish I was with you!! Promise me when you reach the next top rated fish and chip takeaway, you stop and have a portion for me.
Lovely to hear the descriptions of wonderful Cornwall, you must be nearly into Devon me lover now,
Mac