Monday 14 April 2008

WOW!! feel like I'm in a whirlwind now and there's no way down! Meant to post a blog on Friday night but as usual, hadn't got anything packed for the London marathon weekend so you'll just have to read everything in the one blog!
Travelled up to Fareham Friday night so that Jason Beck could interview me for Wave105 - he decided to do this outside to create more 'realism' and I had to pretend it was the morning of the marathon! Met Andy Jackson who was just going out for a quick ciggie and then when the interview was over, Andy decided he wanted me in the studio for a live take as well!! Although I was only on air for just over 2 minutes it was fantastic! Kate Weston and Andy are a terrific double act and it was so funny...Andy kindly sent me on a copy of it so I'll try to work out if I can add this to the blog.
Saturday, travelled upto London with Sue Evans and best mate Tricia. We met up with Dory and Michelle at the hotel then went off to the marathon Expo to register and have see how much free stuff we could pick up! Had our last carbo pasta meal and early to bed although didn't get to sleep much - that's about 3 nights running now so getting a bit tired.
Sunday dawned a lovely blue sky - perfect and not too chilly. All went to plan with the trains to Maze Hill then walked to Blackheath where Dory and I wished Sue good luck and the two of us went into the 'good for age' green start. We already knew exactly where Tricia would be cheering us on and made a bee-line to the celebrity corner and had photos taken with Ronan Keating who was also kind enough to sign our numbers! Made our day - didn't matter what happened in the marathon now!
There was a huge downpour after I'd run around 11 miles so got a bit chilly and feet were soaking wet but stopped raining an hour or so later. For the first time I actually saw the lead men running down The Highway, at 21/22 miles when I was going through 13/14. When I ran back through the other side there were still thousands going through halfway.
Question of positive brain bullying going along Embankment - my initial target was a sub 3.45 so that I could get another 'good for age' but having trained on a sub 3.30, if I reached that....well that would be the holy grail. I was definitely going to get the initial target so part of me was saying to ease back so it didn't hurt so much but then I bullied myself into sticking to it and seeing what happened....so I did! I'm sure they move that finish line further down the Mall each time....crossed it in 3.29.03 on my watch but hands so cold I couldn't push the stop button! Official time (drum roll please) 3.28.56......huge pb by 15 minutes!! I was sooooo proud of myself. Then was a little bit ill....!!
Met up with Tricia at the Cancer Research hospitality - they really look after you there even carrying all your bags! Couple of teas and coffees later I felt much better and decided to go for a massage....who should then walk in and pop up on the table beside me?? Ronan Keating!! Had a good chat - he was hoping for a sub 4 for his first marathon and achieved 3.59 so was ecstatic...
What a day!!

No comments: