Tuesday 1 July 2008

Day 67 Dornoch to Brora

It rained overnight but no sign of the sun this morning although dry.

I created a traffic jam as soon as I stepped out the front door as my "advertising" caused a driver to stop to give me a donation and backed up the cars behind including a police car! Another £20 from a couple staying at the B&B. Ran back through Dornoch and over the golf course to Enbo where I had to pass through a holiday caravan site before picking up an unsigned footpath through grass covered dunes next to a sandy beach. Ahead I could just make out Dunrobin Castle over the other side of the Loch. Lots of rabbits and birds including raucous oystercatchers.

I then climbed over a couple of gates onto a minor lane that ran around the shoreline of Loch Fleet and below the ruins of Skelbo Castle. I was on the lookout for common seals and sure enough there were loads playing close to the shore but it was a shame the tide was in and had the mud flats been showing they probably would have been lying on them.

A very strange thing happened and I had no idea if it's the result of being on my own for 9.5 weeks but just after putting on my waterproofs because of the huge downpour I could clearly hear "hello hello" - there wasn't anyone around that I could see and I started thinking I was possibly on a "You've Been Framed" type show, then realised it was my phone! Reality restored, I had to rejoin the A9 to go over the end of the Loch where just ahead of me was a cyclist on one of those bikes where you sit in a chair with the pedals actually being on the front wheel - clearly a LEJOG entry! After following the main road for around 5K, I arrived in Golspie where thankfully a footpath ran on grass alongside the pebbly beach - another seal sighting, this time out on a rock.

Next on the agenda was a visit to Dunrobin Castle ; it was huge and situated right next to the beach with fabulous boxed hedged gardens. Nearest thing to a fairytale castle with loads of turrets and home of the Duke of Southerland.

Brora which is four miles away, the first two miles along the beach footpath on grass and pebbles (much like the terrain in The Grizzly run) below cliffs where kittiwake nest where in abundance and then back onto my favorite A9 into Brora.

This time I have eaten a proper meal and raised another £15 to boot!

One thing that is really weird up here is that whilst the temperature back at home is in the high 20's, people still have their fires burning and radiators on - it's 1st July today so this is crazy.

Mileage 20.66 Time 4.29

Total mileage 1137.71

13 comments:

Kerstin said...

You are doing so well - I ran 7 miles last night and my knees are aching today (you put me to shame!) Met a girl called Ally tonight at West Hants Club - she said she saw you whilst doing the moonlight walk in Edinburgh - she said you looked amazing, and what an inspiration you are to us all. She is right there! My 2 months membership at West Hants runs out tomorrow (I bid for it at your fundraiser) - so you must be coming home soon. Take care and can't wait to hear about it when you get back!
Well done
Kerstin x

Unknown said...

Can we start having a mileage to date figure as well now you are nearly there please? It seems ages since you were here in Devon but when I think it's not that long but then I think it must be for you to have gone all that way. Along with the others I am not sure what I shall read in the morning with my cup of tea when you have finished. I think you will have to carry on for a while so that those of us not local can still hear about the publishing deal, final sums raised, if you win fundraiser of the year ( a forgone surly!!) etc etc
PS - EAT BETTER!!

Pat said...

Hi Carole,
Tried something new at running yesterday, everyone picked a number from a hat and then had to find a lady with the same number. We all ended up running with someone different. Went down really well as everyone said it made them work harder. Checked the weather today for Scotland and it looks like you have clear days right up until you reach JOG. Someone up there(!) is watching you as well. By the way there is a turf war going on in the very area you are presently running through. Yes you guessed it this is todays fact, apparently it is the latest hotspot to build a supermarket with all the leading contenders putting in bids for land. Just wanted to keep you in touch with reality!! My dad has already reached JOG and is now spending the rest of his holiday travelling back down south on the east coast.With only a few days to go make sure you make the most of them. Well done and keep collecting that money.
Pat

kim said...

I really don't know where you get your energy from, you are amazing, it doesn't seem possible you are almost at the end of your journey. Like other people have said, what will we all do when you have finished, no stories to read !! Hope your aches and pains disappear or don't get any worse. You can soon have a rest (bet you don't rest for long though!) You have raised a fantastic amount of money - you really have done a brilliant job.
Kim
x

sue seal said...

"Go Carole Go" nearly there now, wish we could all be at the end to see you in, what a marvellous occasion that will be.
Glad the weather has kept fair for you, hot here today but rain tomorrow so they say and its my day off, still plenty to do and it will save me watering the sunflowers. They are doing really well 4ft and growing.
Enjoy the last few days, take care Sue

Phil said...

Carole
Without giving too many surprises away I can give you a little insight to the preparations that are currently in full force for your return, led by Paul W.
The forklift has been ordered to pick up your 'on return file' (Paul has now disappeared behind it and is suffering a bit of cabin fever). Your desk has been quadrupled in size and along with the hard drive as the e-mail accumulation is causing havoc with the servers. The automated door locks have been adjusted to only allow your exit after 11.00 pm each night. Hope you appreciate the thoughts and efforts. I'll keep you updated on more developments.
If I was you i'd throw a 'sickie' and hang it out till your holiday in August.
Oh yeah, hope the run is going well !!!!!!!
Cheers mate, Phil

Paul W said...

Hi Carole - Don't take too much notice of Phil - for 2 reasons, 1. he's only jealous 'cos he does not have even half as much as you to do to keep him busy ....and 2....he is factually incorrect anyway......it's actually far worse than that !
Sarah S had a day off today to order the champagne that she is going to drink over the weekend to celebrate your homecoming - don't believe her either....I am sure she has really thoroughly enjoyed it, but does not want to admit as much.
With regard to the sickies - I think the last 9.5 weeks (wasn't that a film ?), has shown you are made of sterner stuff - working through the pain barrier and your blog entries have demonstrated that you can still type at a keyboard!
Keep going, enjoy the last few days, remember to eat.
Regards, Paul W

Carol said...

Well Done, can't believe you're almost there, where has the time gone. What a fantastic experience. You will of course notice that all the BJ's have been putting in extra milage to support you and we have all become a super fit bunch in your absence (we won't mind if you don't notice!! - although I will be the first to admit I have slacked on the PHAB sessions without you).
I think I may have some Scottish in me, our heating has been on all week!! Good for the Scots I say.
Enjoy the last few days, what an amazing achievement, Mac.

Phil said...

Carole,
Think you've been rumbled. We had a picture sent round this morning with you looking very relaxed and lying on a sun drenched beach. It looked far more caribbean than Scottish. You sure you're not camped out in Barbados sipping copious amounts of Pina Colada ?
Anyway, wherever you are hope the last 2.5 days don't go too quickly and that you can savour every minute of the wilds of northern Bardabos, sorry Scotland
See you back on the sunny south coast very soon.
Take care Phil

Paul W said...

I thought that it could be the Algarve - it certainly changed my view of Scotland's weather. By the time you head back south Carole, that tan you have got will soon wash off with the forecast monsoon over the next few days!
Enjoy the weather/scenery whilst you can.
Regards, Paul W

Unknown said...

No posts for a couple of days... are you trying to ween us off our daily read? I hope you are enjoying your last couple of days and have a safe trip back to sunny Bournemouth! I'm sure St Georges hill will be a mere mole hill in comparison to the Scottish highlands!

Pat said...

Hi Carole,
Now what has happened to the blog, have you got writers cramp? With less than two days to go you're going to need a big hankie, because I can see a few tears of joy are going to be shed. And do you know what, you can shed as many as you like and feel very proud of yourself for what you will have achieved, a truly fantastic feat. It will be a very emotional day but one to savour and remember for ever. Enjoy....
Pat

sueh said...

I can't take the suspense and drama - no news for 3 days! I hope that Scotland continues to thrill you and you are soaking up the experiences of these last few days. Wow, I can't believe you finish tomorrow, what an emotional time that'll be and I wish I could be there but rest assured I am there in thought! Well Done, Sueh