Friday 4 July 2008

Day 69 Helmsdale to Dunbeath

I was complimenting the navy guys for creeping in last night as they didn't wake me up only to find that they didn't get back in until 8 am this morning! Got them all to cough up their change - £19.64 but lamented the fact that they had spent most of it in the pub last night.

Fantastic morning once again. The doorman at Dunrobin Castle had said that the route after Helmsdale was very hilly and he definitely wasn't wrong. It was straight up the hill as soon as I left the hostel and it just kept on going up. There were workmen working on the finishing stages of a new road and they kindly let me use it as a short cut but the foreman stopped me, saying it was a works access road only. I stood my ground, saying I had been told to us it as it was safer, to which he replied "those who gave their authority would get their butts kicked" jobsworth! Anyway, having taken the shortcut the road continued to follow the valleys so I seemed to be going a long way without getting very far. I entered Caithsness which many say is really pretty but to be honest, it was just a great expanse of moor with a busy main road going right through it. I stopped at the Badbea ancient village which was a collection of ruined stone houses dating from the 1700's but deserted in the early 1800's following the highland clearances. To be honest I couldn't really make out what it was as there were 6 foot high ferns everywhere but I guess in the Winter when the vegetation had died back it would have been easier to make out the remains. It is reputed that the cliff tops were so windy that animals, chickens and children were tied down to stop them blowing away. The curlews and lapwings were back in abundance but the mist came in to drown out any sort of view and then it rained - not heavy, just constant dreary drizzle.

I'm really glad I didn't go North to South as this is no joy at all and is now a means to an end, literally. A truck driver pulled over to offer me a lift which, of course, I declined - despite the lowness of today I would not cheat on my mission!

Dunbeath is yet another drab, pebbledash ridden village. The only place to eat is a pub which looks like a truckers greasy cafe - the lasagne and chips were horrid. Oh how I look forward to a proper home cooked meal.

mileage 16.47 time 3.39

Total mileage 1166.46

5 comments:

Pat said...

Hi Carole,
Nearly there. I'm sure there will be a good old fashioned home cooked meal when you get back home. Followed by a really good rest for a few days. (By the way it's track on Monday!!)Earlier this week had to pose as a press photographer at short notice to take photos at a charity cheque presentation. So I can be ready when our famous BJ returns home. You can start counting the time to the end in hours now, not days or weeks.Have a good last two days.
Pat

Steve&Jen said...

Nearly there Carole, I'll miss reading your blogs. You've done really well and it won't be long now til you can rest and catch up with all your friends back home. Take care. Jenny WX

Fi said...

Hi Carole - you are so nearly there - you are a truly amazing person. I'm going to miss reading the blog. Agree you need to keep it going with updates on the fund raising etc. Keep safe and I'll see you in a couple of weeks when i get back from holiday. Keep safe on the last days. Lots of love fi xx

JennieS said...

Hi Carole, as my Mum said... 'Go Carole, Go!' Your so close now, can't believe you are on your 70 day! Really enjoy your last day, what you have achieved is amazing! See you soon! Jennie

Sarah Sq said...

Yippee - the champagne has arrived and I'm cracking open the first bottle. I've told the doctor that I don't need the drugs anymore as I will be putting my feet up from Monday ! Seriously though, I'm sure I've had a lot easier 10 weeks than you have. Ignore Paul W and Phil's comments - there's only one cupboard full of stuff to hand over! Well done Carole - it's been an amazing journey to follow (from the comfort of my sofa!). See you Monday