Saturday 7 June 2008

Day 42 Alston to Greenhead

Thunder storms last evening but I woke to sun again this morning. From my hips down every part of me now aches I feel about 80. Found an alternative use for the bunk bed ladders as they are very handy to haul myself up off the floor after kneeling to pack my rucksack in the morning!

Nice breakfast including porridge and then set off along a grassy track between the A689 and river South Tyne, crossing several farm fields before crossing the road and heading uphill around the ramparts of Whitley Castle, a Roman fort built to defend a supply route now called the Maiden Way.

Crossing the A689 again it was a lovely run through several fields following the disused railway line before dropping down under the viaduct to follow a stream towards Slaggyford. Didn't want to further damage my leg so once out on the A689 I walked the road bit into the village looking for a tea shop...no luck but I did find David and Marilyn on the village green park bench having looked for exactly the same refreshment stop as me! After a brief respite I continued along a lane next to a beautifully converted chapel before dropping through a small copse to once again duck under the railway line and cross more fields before having a little problem trying to work out exactly where the footpath went once I got to Merry Knowe Farm. It took a bit of time to establish that they had filled in the top of the style in the dry stone wall but there was a small painted piece of slate indicating that I needed to climb over the wall which actually left me in the back garden of the farm! More fields, many with colourful wild flowers before once again going under the railway and out onto the A689. It was then another uphill onto Glendue Fell to follow the Maiden Way Roman road, barely deviating from a straight line and out across heather clad grouse shooting moors although I didn't see any today. Once again and for the last time across the A689. I initially planned to follow a quiet lane all the way to Greenhead but decided to continue to follow the Pennine Way as the going would be easier on my leg albeit longer mileage. Bit boggy underfoot in places and very up and down, sometimes quite steep. I sort of followed the wrong trail over Featherstone common which ended me up in some real soggy bits but after convincing myself not to panic and blow the emergency whistle decided to head for the highest point where I hoped to find the trig point and I did come across what appeared to be the only Pennine Way signpost. The first trig point that I saw ended up being nothing more than a lamb standing on a pile of rocks (David and Marilyn saw exactly the same a little while later) - the real trig point was on the next hill. It was then an exhausting journey through the rest of the common and then down towards the A69 only to then run parallel with the road for around a mile before dropping down to finally cross it. Rather than go down the busy A69 into Greenhead I ran through several more fields and across the local golf course.

Bushwhacked today and really struggled over the last 6-7 miles and looking forward to a huge tea! Had a final drink with David and Marilyn as they are having a shorter day tomorrow - I'm now very envious! I'll miss those guys popping up on route when I least expect them and their overnight camping stories. Raised £30 tonight in the pub and Frank the 500 miler also gave me £10.

Mileage 16.45 time 5.10

Total mileage 676.21

2 comments:

sueh said...

Not had internet connection for 4 days and the only thing I missed was getting your blogs! So relieved its mended and I can update myself with your antics! Fab write ups and pictures - keep writing it's a great story to read. Can you book some treatment for your leg on your next day off? I keep worrying about it! Look forward to the next installment... Love Suexx

Pat said...

Hi Carole,
Do look after that leg, you'll be needing it when you reach the highlands. Bet you are looking forward to reaching Edinburgh, bring back memories of a great weekend back in 2006 (Can't believe that was two years ago). As you get further and further away just remember we're all with you back here in Bournemouth and willing you on to your final goal.
Pat

PS Just seen the weather, looks like a nice day on Sunday and Monday for you.