Sunday 15 June 2008

Day 51 - I know I've just had a holiday but I deserve another one!
Perfect blue sky this morning and not even a sign of any clouds. Did a bit of washing (whilst there was the availability of a proper washing machine) and had brekkie....the two who'd rudely awoken me early this morning were still in bed and asleep but I didn't have the heart to return the favour (when I got back later in the day I found out that they were still asleep when the 10 o'clock bed-making team knocked on the door - they're staying tonight as well so hope there's not a repeat). Took the bus to Ocean Terminal as I had a freebie ticket to visit the Royal Yacht Britannia (courtesy of Liz and Paul Jenkins which I very much appreciated) - it was really interesting to tour the decks and rooms that the Royal Family graced for so many years. I even got to pass 'beyond' the ropes and have my photo taken in the Royal lounge and also had some fun with monkey-pod in the anti-room. Although they didn't have a rubber stamp for my passport I have obtained an 'Ahoy there! I've been to The Royal Yacht Britannia' sticker instead. Whilst I was then wandering around the shopping centre (all I can do is window shop as I clearly have no capacity to carry anything with me) couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Ally from BJ's...chatted to her for a bit (she was in Edinburgh to do the moonwalk last night) but how weird is it to be so far from home and suddenly bump into someone that you know....fate must seriously play a hand here? Walked around the old town including a visit to GreyFriars church and the resting place of the famous devoted little canine : Bobby. Then treked up the steps to the castle which I was toying with the idea of going round but as the price was a little steep and I have been there before, decided to decline. However Mary Kings Close tour was really good. As I'm sure you know, the old town is made up of hundreds of tiny alleyways (closes) running off the main Royal Mile. Poor people lived and traded their wares down these alleys with the richer folk living in the upper floors. In the mid 19c the council decided to knock down the top few floors of several of these closes in order to then use the remaining houses as the foundations of their Custom House so basically they built ontop of existing dwellings. What remains underneath the Custom House is incredible - all the houses, shops and alleys giving a fantastic insight into the way of life. It was a great experience. Walked quite a way today which isn't really the idea of my rest days but I had a great time. By the way, the two in my dorm clearly didn't learn the error of their ways last night as after telling me they were going home to Germany tomorrow and that they had spent all but £3 of their money, at 8.30 pm they went out for a cigarette and didn't reappear until 11.45 and.....promptly turned the lights on again!!! My retinas are now completely burnt! Oh and Paul, took notice of your comments about my emails and tried to get into the Edinburgh office but I was refused entry based on my fantastic tan and my 'Forrest Gump' hairstyle making me look nothing like my photo ID...what a shame...I'm gutted!

6 comments:

Pat said...

Hi Carole,
Wondered why we hadn't seen Ally at running for a while! Now I know. Well seven weeks to get to Edinburgh, almost as quick as a plane from Southampton (or Exeter)!! While you were approaching the big city some of us BJs were marshalling at a 3k fun run. Seeing all those "beginners" pushing themselves to run twice round a field made me think that we were all once like that, but look at what can be achieved when we put our minds to it. This morning managed my first non stop run and then followed it by a 6.5 mile walk, so should soon be back with the group, can't wait. Meanwhile your goal is not so far away now, just the beautiful and spectacular highlands to go. Keep going and you'll soon be there.
Pat

Unknown said...

Its always such a pleasure reading the blog. I'm amazed you have the energy to do all that typing. Saying you're doing well is such an understatement. I mean... you're in Edinburgh!! Mark and I cycled 24 miles round the Purbecks yesterday. All those hills and I was moaning about being tired. I thought of you having travelled over 800 miles and was instantly humbled!

Lorna said...

Hi Carole. I have only just caught up on your last weeks journeys! How on earth are you going to be able to settle down after such an exciting adventure. Hats off to you Carole, Luv Lorna x

Lorna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
kay said...

Caught up from day 7 yest and was tired reading it! Very impressed with map reading as ran from Meyrick Park to Tower Park last week through heathlands and kept getting lost; ended up on wrong side of dual carriageway. When struggling on Midsummer will tell myself only doing a little jaunt, nothing compared with you.

David M said...

Hi Carole

We're the guys that gave you your first Scottish banknotes in Keld!
As you'll soon be enterting the West Highland Way, we have alerted the local Milngavie Herald Newspaper (0141 956 3533) to your impending arrival in the hope that they will give you a bit more publicity. Hang on in there, girl!!

David & Val