Thursday 19 June 2008

Day 54 Kilsyth to Drymen



Happy Birthday to me!

Here was me thinking I would be celebrating when I get home, not a chance as I was greeted at breakfast with not only a couple of cards plus a rendition of "Happy Birthday" and topped with a cake complete with candle - brilliant surprise. So, with cake duly packed in a cotton bud container I set off first along footpath and then for a while along the A803 out of Kilsyth. Weather Gods clearly knew it was a special day as although cloudy, it was breezy so they didn't hang around for long and at times it was quite muggy. At Milton of Campsie (with names like that you really know you are near the Highlands!) I diverted from road to disused railway line which followed the course of the Glazert Water through lovely shady woodlands and villages. Now this is much more like it and although still alongside water and nothing like canal running. Just passed Lennoxtown the trail left the woods and, parallel to the A891 passed through fields and below hillsides festooned with meadow flowers. Handily, I arrived in Straphblane at lunchtime so devoured a delicious sandwich and picked up another £10 whilst I was at it. The railway line continues through yet more woodland awash with rhododendrons, wild roses, fox gloves and huge leafed plants that once again made me look like one of the Borrowers in a strange land. It really was a joy to run along the woodland paths. Back out in the open I passed a whiskey distillery and shortly afterwards picked up my penultimate long distance path : The West Highland Way which starts at Milgabenie near Glasgow and runs all the way to Fort William. I hadn't seen anyone all morning yet within minutes of setting foot on the WHW I had passed six people! I was also faced with my first flagstones since the Pennine Way although I am unsure why they were needed here as there didn't appear to be any sign of boggy water. The logo (Scottish Thistle) was also exactly the same as I had followed on the Southern Uplands Way. More fantastic tracks through woodland and along banks where the vivid smells and colours were enough to brighten anyones day.

After travelling along a very quiet lane for a short while I then headed South again, but only for a mile or so along yet another disused railway line, now an official route in the National Cycle Network, and into Croftamie where again I headed in the preferred North direction. It wasn't long before I entered the Buchanan Castle estate : very classy with my B&B overlooking the 13th hole of the private golf course.

Another surprise awaited as I was greeted with a massive bunch of flowers (plus a helium balloon floating out of the box!) and a load more cards. Needless to say I was left in tears - I'm beginning to become an emotional wreck! But there were also tears of happiness as I was touched that so many had taken the time to remember me and send a card to await my arrival. Of course I couldn't take the flowers with me plus, whilst tempted, thought the balloon would struggle a bit in the wind so the bouquet was donated to Gail at the B&B and everything else sent back home.

To round off the evening I visited the oldest pub in Scotland : The Clachan Inn which opened in Drymen in 1734, for dinner and a glass of wine plus raised another £42.04 during half time in the Euro 2008 football game!

I've certainly had a birthday that I will never ever forget.

Mileage 21.84 Time 4.26

No comments: