Tuesday 17 June 2008

Day 53 Linlithgow to Kilsyth

Today was set to be a groundhog day as once again my route was totally along canals albeit a mix of the Union and the Forth and Clyde. Also as Debs happily pointed out, today was going to be my last day ever "sprightly 41 year old" but as I constantly remind her, she is still older than me!

Unfortunately the weather God decreed that today would also be a damp and at times a bit of a miserable day so it was on with the waterproofs first thing. Once again I didn't have to pay for my B&B as Nan at Belsyde House asked me to donate it to my fundraising. Dropped back down to the canal and it wasn't long before I met the first of the three amazing man made feats of engineering : the 273 metre long aqueduct straddling the river Avon. This is the 2nd longest with only Telfords aqueduct in Wales being greater in length. Still can't get my head around I'm running alongside water in mid air! After this there wasn't really much to write about over the next 6 - 7 miles except that it had stopped raining for a while. I then came to the 2nd of the days "interests" but this was causing me a bit of mental turmoil. The canal disappeared into a huge dark tunnel that I obviously had to go through and thought of it really scared me. Although dead straight so I could at least literally see the light at the end of the tunnel, it was 690 metres long and dimly lit every 25 meters of so. The path was wet and slippery in places and water was dripping constantly either into the canal or onto the footpath echoing in the tunnel. At least there was a guard rail to stop you accidentally walking into the canal! The sides of the tunnel were raw rock and these made eerie silhouettes. However I knuckled down to the task, took loads of deep breathes and ventured into the darkness. Inside was so wet that the sides had the appearance of a damp cave with stalactites and stalagmites. To saw I was relieved to be back out in daylight would be a mega understatement and I was very proud of myself to have conquered that particular demon! Didn't really care that it was now pouring, at least it was rain rather than tunnel water.

Then it was the turn of the third of today's features and this time it was a wow. 100 years ago the Union was linked to the lower Forth and Clyde by a series of eleven locks but when the canals fell into disuse they were demolished. Nowadays a huge "ferris wheel" type steel contraption called the Falkirk Wheel lifts boats to and from the two canals - the only one of its kind in the world and really has to be seen to be believed. I then transferred to the Forth and Clyde canal and passed through industrial sites (yuck), towns (OK) and countryside (much preferred) but just as I got to the later and was running along a dead straight piece of the canal stretching for nearly 3 miles the heavens absolutely opened and before long I was drenched.

Kilsyth is at first glance a town full of pebble dashed houses and flats, not really appealing but luckily I'm staying on a farm at the top end of town. Reading the visitors book quite a few end to enders have stayed here in recent days and there is a card from a guy walking North to South who had massive blister problems just getting here. He lasted one more day before buying a bike and cycling the rest of the way!

Mileage 21.74 Time 4.38

13 comments:

Pat said...

Hi Carole,
Looks like you might be in for a few wet days according to the weather forecast, still you are in Scotland. What a fantastic range of sights that you are getting to see, very educational. Tunnel sounded a bit scary though, don't want too many of those along the way.
Not sure when you get to read the comments so if it's Tuesday stop reading now and if it's Wednesday...."HAPPY BIRTHDAY"
Have a good one and hope the weather and the terrain are kind to you.
Pat

sueh said...

Have a great birthday today - hope you manage to eat lots of choc and cake somewhere along your way. Weather stormy here - just perfect for sports day!! Thinking of you and will celebrate your birthday with a drink later! Love SueH

Lindsey F said...

Hi Carole,
Just wanted to say "Happy Birthday" for tomorrow! Hey, if you see a bakery pop in and treat yourself to a big fat cake. I'd avoid adding candles- you don't want to burn yourself!! ha ha

Phil said...

Have a great birthday Carole. I must say it was a bit rash doing this entire run just to get out of buying birthday drinks. Never mind, we can all wait until you get back !!!
Phil

Paul W said...

Hello Carole - No plans or schemes to get you back to work earlier today!.....just wanted to say happy birthday !
Best wishes, Paul W

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Carole!! Hope you celebrate with a big chocolate cake! Will have a drink for you tonight (any excuse)

Fi said...

Hi Carole - hope you have had a good birthday. Hope you managed to find a cake shop and bought yourself a big fat cream cake.
love fi xx

sue seal said...

Happy Birthday Carole,
Back from my hols and just read your Blogs and caught up with you on the map, you've certainly gone some distance and seen the sights.
Amazing total milage I really don't know how you've done it sheer guts and willpower,very well done indeed. Hope you get to eat a birthday cake
PS Had a good hol, Sue

kim said...

Hi Carole
Happy Birthday, hope you have had a lovely relaxing evening with a nice meal and a drink or two after all the running you have done on your birthday. You have done an amazing job - all those miles you have covered in the last 7 weeks - you are running further each day than I'm doing in a week! Keep it going and you will soon be back in sunny Bournemouth.
Kim x

Anonymous said...

Hi Carole

Greetings from Priestcliffe.

Marigold hopes you had a Happy Birthday. Glad to hear you are making good progress and we will continue to read your reports.

The real mystery guest came last week and stayed the night. After breakfast she explained who she was and awarded us 4 stars from the Tourist Board - hopefully this will increase our business.

Tonights guests are only walking the Limestone Way.

Margaret and John (Slack)

Kerstin said...

Hope you had a great birthday - you are doing so well - no excuse for not having a big slab of cake -you'll soon burn it off. Love reading your tour of britain - can't believe how much you know about the wildlife - I'm really impressed.
Love Kerstin x

Steve&Jen said...

Hi Carole, just wanted to wish you a belated Happy Birthday! Hope you had a big cake to celebrate. I'm very impressed with your photography skills and knowledge of wildlife, you'd certainly give Bill Oddie a run for his money! Bet you wished you'd bought a headtorch for that scary tunnel! Won't be long before we're seeing you at club I suppose - although I guess we'll let you have a few days rest! Take care. Jenny x

Carol said...

Happy Birthday, or happy belated birthday or happy birthday week - may as well spin it out a bit!
I shall definately be having a belated birthday drink on your behalf, in fact I am missing FHAB in your honour to do just that, I know you approve really...
Fantastic job you are doing, I'm very proud of you and very proud that you're proving such a fantastic role model for us women of a certain age, who needs young legs when you're a fit bird!! love Mac