Monday 16 June 2008

Day 52 Edinburgh to Linlithgow

To be honest getting through my days off is getting incredibly harder as I'm really missing John, family and friends - being able to talk on the mobile is great but in no way compensates for not actually being able to see them and talk face to face. It's not so bad on the other days as I have plenty to keep my mind occupied with all that is around me but being on my own in one town or city for a day is a different story. Anyway enough of my emotional state of mind!

Once again a dry day as I retraced my steps from Saturday back through the city to the mini shopping/restaurant centre where the Union Canal abruptly stopped or started, depending on which way you are coming from. The whole day was going to be spent running alongside this body of water so whilst incredibly flat (there are no locks at all on the canal which in itself is a bit unique) cast your mind back to Saturday when I mentioned I got a little "bored" running the 8 - 10 miles along the Water of Leith footpath, well this was to be a day of around two and a half times that distance. Mind you, I didn't need any maps as all I had to ensure was that the canal stayed on my left! Until as recently as the late 20th century the canal was in disrepair and following extensive restoration including a tunnel under the M8 (1st motorway I've crossed since the Penine Way) it was finally reopened in 2000 and no runs a total of 37 miles from Edinburgh to Falkirk where a marvellous piece of engineering (which I will tell you about tomorrow!) links it to the Forth and Clyde canal. There were loads of bridges to either cross or run under including several more aqueducts. Each is uniquely numbered but on the outskirts of Edinburgh they had had to add a number of new ones so I had to contend with bridges 6, 6A, 6AA, 6AB, 6B and so on! There's not really much else I can say except the weather god is still pleased with me and the sun duly shone.

Stopped for a cup of tea (well, two or three cups of tea) at The Park , a fab place that appeared as an oasis where a guy called Colin duly paid my bill plus donated £10.00 to my effort. Suitably refreshed I strided on with purpose (think possibly the total of 6 spoonfulls of sugar in the tea might have had something to do with my renewed energy!).

Can't believe I've basically run a marathon today in a time that John had great delight in telling me was quicker than my London Marathon debut time in 1993! It's also amazing that after 7 weeks this is my fastest average speed.

Mileage 26.05 time 5.01

3 comments:

Pat said...

Hi Carole,
Keep on hanging in there, you can almost count the time in days before you reach John O'Groats. You've passed the fitness test and raised a lot of money, I know you can pass the mental test as well.
Today I got the go ahead for my own big challenge. Myself and Sue (lady I work with)have been given a day off to do a 100 mile cycle ride. Yes, only one day, and we have to visit 11 branches as well. We will also be cycling for charity.
Some more good news on races, Naomi and Joan both won their age groups in the Blandford Bridges run on Sunday so well done to both of them. The BJ tradition marches on.
Pat

Unknown said...

I expect the canal was a bit hard on your feet/legs so I hope they are OK. Simon and I once did a long distance walk on the canals thinking it would be easy as it was flat so we upped the distance but the hard surface of the towpaths played havov with my toes! Keep on running!
Pam

Phil said...

Carole, yeah keep hanging on. You are doing incredibly well and to run marathon distance in one day after 51 days is simply amazing. Everyone is rooting for you back home. Enjoy the Scottish scenety and wildlife
Looking forward to going out for a run with you when you return although I have a sneaky suspicion you may be just a tad fitter than me. In training for this I am contemplating a reduction in my lager in take - commitment eh ! Anyway keep happy, safe and well. Phil