Wednesday 11 June 2008

Day 47 - well deserved rest day!
After 10 days of travelling, think I've thoroughly deserved a break! No porridge or full breakfast this morning unfortunately as it was DIY so muesli and bacon sarni had to suffice. Weather forecast predicted rain but it was bright sunshine when I set foot outside. Decided to visit Abbotsford, Sir Walter Scott's home (for those of you who are uneducated, he was a 19c poet / novelist who wrote such classics as Rob Roy, Ivanhoe and Lady of the Lake to name just a few). Travelled by bus to Tweedbank and then walked the 1/2 mile or so. Very impressive mansion and the inside was fabulous. Many historic relics and weapons of the bygone era, together with a tiny little library containing over 9,000 books. It was set right next to the River Tweed. After returning to Melrose I decided to walk the 2 miles or so to Leaderfoot Viaduct via the Borders Abbey Way which ran next to the ruined Abbey and onto Newstead. Whilst wandering on the footpath I was amazed to see a tiny bundle of fluff rumaging in the grass at the side : a stoat kit (at least I think they're called kits...?) - he was soooo cute and clearly had no idea I was watching him. Again he was a little too quick on his feet and wouldn't stay in one place long enough for me to get a decent photo of him but I was transfixed just watching him playing around before he disappeared into the longer grass and I lost sight of him. Another tick in the box! Newstead is supposed to be the oldest continually inhabited village in Scotland (didn't actually see anyone in the village so I have to take their word for it!). A short way from Newstead was the 'famous' Trimontium Roman settlement. An amazing fort, ditches and village was built and later excavated here...trouble was, I couldn't see any sign of any of it - just looked like a few fields to me but again, I'll take their word for it. Now the viaduct, that was impressive. I lost count how many arches it had and I have no idea how high the tallest columns were from the ground but what I do know is that it was built in the 19c to carry the railway at the time. There's now 3 bridges that span the Tweed at that point : ornate stone footbridge and a boring road bridge being the other two. Retraced my steps hoping to find my friend Pop the weasel but no sign unfortunately although a little further on there was definitely another one that shot across the path and into the grass : were they having a party or something? Stopped and sat for a while, camera poised just incase they'd forgotten anything and decided to head back home but no more sightings so headed back into Melrose to the tea shop and the best caramel apple pie I've ever tasted! This is actually the first time I've found an internet since Edale so this is actually me updating the blog this time rather than my faithful PA, John to whom I must pass on my utmost love and thanks for all those long evening calls dictating my diary so that he can update the blog on my behalf :o)
Only 3 days of running left before I reach the mighty city of Edinburgh and yes, another day off. Then I head over to the west coast where the delights of the various lochs await me. Hopefully the sun will continue to shine on me as my tan is coming along nicely (although the lines look pretty stupid!). Please keep the comments coming as I do pick them all up and they make me smile...record for one day is 8 so let's try to beat that! It's great to know what's happening at home and what I'm missing (or not missing as the case may be). And Paul W, I'll run away from any helicopter you send in to pick me up and take me back to work early....7 July is the soonest you'll have me back as I'm having way too much of a good time!

6 comments:

JennieS said...

Hi Carole! I'm thoroughly enjoying reading your blog everyday! You are having such a wonderful time and seeing all those sights and the wildlife galore! I keep getting asked how you're doing, so everyone now knows you have reached Scotland, what a feat! I hope your leg is doing ok now and keep eating! Love Jennie x

Pat said...

Hi Carole,
Me again, what a set of fantastic sights you have seen today, starting to get envious of you again. Could be in for a big challenge myself soon, top secret until the boss has agreed. Watch this space, involves long distance but not running!! This weekend some of us are helping at a charity run in aid of a childrens charity, only a 3k so about an hour on Saturday morning. Could put the club in the papers.
Good luck for your continued journey, hopefully you will be refreshed after your day off and raring to go again.
Pat

DORY said...

Hi Carole - Not been able to read your blog for a while so spent about an hour catching up with it today at work - oh dear! It was so good to read and see the pics. Can't believe you have got so far and not got lost.

Keep it up - you can do it - thinking of u.
DORY x

Debbie Stacey said...

Hi Carole,
Lovely to watch your progress. Its part of my daily ritual now to read your blog. Quite upsets my day when I haven't got one to read. Never mind they are so entertaining I just re-read the earlier ones. It all sounds so idyllic and exciting, glad you are enjoying it. Congratulations on getting so far.
Debbie

Luke Willis said...

Hey you, have been keeping track of progress since Bath but only just worked out how to add a comment!! What a fantastic trip - you may well see the small windswept cafe perching on the edge of Loch Ness in a week or so where I was cowering from the rain and e-mailing you Euro 2004football predictions for your competition four years ago. Good Luck with the rest of the trip...

Paul S said...

Hey Carole,
i didnt have a computer for a week and its just crazy how much you've done! its almost like watching springwatch crossed with long way up! awesome! take care of that leg.

Paul